Having a high product rating on Amazon can help you improve sales by allowing more potential buyers to locate your products when they search the site. Sellers must understand how Amazon\’s search algorithm (known as A9) works to rank well on the site.
This article will go over the following topics:
- The Product Search Algorithm on Amazon (A9)
- The A9 Algorithm\’s Fundamental Elements
- Factors affecting conversion rates
- Factors of relevance
- Factors that influence customer happiness and retention
The Product Search Algorithm on Amazon (A9)
Amazon\’s product search algorithm differs significantly from Google\’s. When a customer searches on Amazon for a product, the results are presented in two steps. They start by pulling relevant results from their database and then ranking them by relevance.
Amazon wants to increase income per client as much as possible. Human judgments, programmatic analysis, critical business KPIs, and performance indicators are all used to analyze their algorithms regularly.
The A9 Algorithm\’s Fundamental Elements
There are three equally relevant ranking variables on Amazon:
- Conversion rate – Amazon has discovered that factors like ratings, image quality, and pricing have an impact on conversion rates. To achieve a high Amazon conversion rate, retailers must keep their prices competitive. Repricing software can aid your Amazon business in a variety of ways.
- Relevancy – Indicates to A9 when your product page should be considered for a search result. Your product must be relevant if you want to rank better.
- Customer satisfaction and retention – Amazon seller feedback and order defect rate are two factors that help with customer retention (ODR). Customers will return if you make them satisfied. The more favorable seller feedback and positive evaluations you receive, the more likely you are to close the deal.
Factors affecting conversion rates
- Sales rank
One of the most important ranking elements is sales rank (commonly known as the Amazon Best Sellers Rank). More sales equal higher ranks, which equals more sales!
- Customer feedback
The quantity and quality of product reviews you receive are both key ranking considerations.
- Questions that were answered
Answered questions appear at the top of the product page and are crucial for conversions.
- Image quality and size
To avoid having their listings suppressed, sellers should adhere to Amazon\’s picture requirements. You may enable the zoom option by utilizing high-quality photographs with a minimum resolution of 1,000 x 1,000 pixels. This allows shoppers to see your products in more detail.
In addition to being one of the most crucial Buy Box criteria, your product\’s price has a significant impact on conversion rates and sales. Find out if you\’re eligible for the Amazon Buy Box.
- Products for parents and their children
You can lead clients to a single product page by leveraging Amazon\’s parent-child product capabilities. This will help you get the most out of your customer reviews.
Factors of Relevance
Your conversion rate will rise with a decent product title. It should contain keywords, be easy to read and be under 200 characters long to optimize your Amazon product title.
- Highlights/bullet points
Conversions can be increased by displaying product characteristics in descriptive bullet points that include keywords
- Description of the product
Expand on your features and incorporate your keywords in the product description. A strong product description will enhance your consumer engagement and conversion rates, therefore it\’s worth the time and effort to get it correctly.
A product description that isn\’t up to par, on the other hand, could cost you sales (to a competitor) or result in poor customer feedback.
- Detailed specifications
The technical and physical parameters of your goods, such as size, shipping weight, and color, should be listed in the specifications area. Completing this form demonstrates to Amazon that you are conscientious about your listings.
- The term \”category\” and \”subcategory\” are used interchangeably.
Make sure you choose the most appropriate category for your goods when creating your product listing.
Factors that influence customer happiness and retention
- Negative seller feedback
When it comes to product search results, all negative feedback weighs against you equally. Your Buy Box chances are also influenced by your feedback rating.
- The speed with which orders are processed
You must ship quickly and accurately to be successful on Amazon. You\’ll also rank higher if you process orders quickly.
- Rates for in-stock items
Popular products can run out of stock due to poor inventory management. To reduce refunds and pre-fulfillment cancellations, Amazon prefers sellers who keep a high in-stock rate.
- Rate of Order Defects (ODR)
When a consumer complains about an order, this is referred to as an order defect. Negative buyer feedback, A-to-Z Guarantee claims, shipment issues, and chargebacks are all examples of defects. Note that if the customer later removes the feedback, it will not affect your ODR. As a result, it\’s worthwhile to try to handle any complications that may arise.
- Number of people that leave
The percentage of customers who view your listing but subsequently leave Amazon is known as your exit rate. Higher-ranking products with a lower exit rate will convert more.
Optimize your Amazon product listings if you want to rank better on Amazon. You can improve your product\’s visibility and sales by providing relevant and complete information about it.
You must also maintain a competitive pricing strategy for your products.